I was dusting the bookshelves on the weekend, when I happened across the scrapbook of all our old love notes.
Only too happy to be distracted from the housework for a while, I sat down to browse through the mementoes from the early days of our relationship more than 30 years ago.
It seems I knew my Bear so well even back then, and that he had a sentimental streak a mile wide! (Example: he has kept the dress I wore on our first date. Yes, really!).
While I presented him the scrapbook as a gift for Valentine’s Day, it was actually the husbear who kept all these treasures, and then stuck them into the pages.
Inside I found:
- note cards from the flowers he sent me;
- a handful of photos;
- old Valentines cards;
- the letter my Bear wrote when he realised that I was indeed ‘the one’, and that he couldn’t live without me;
- a postcard he sent me when he went to north Queensland to visit family;
- the first birthday card he gave me after we were married;
- bus tickets;
- quite a few long and rambling letters that I wrote to him;
- and even a crossword he made just for me, about some of our favourite things.
Yes, there were a couple of those old love notes that almost made me gag, but on the whole I was pleasantly surprised.
Some random thoughts from my little walk down memory lane:
- How young (and skinny!) do we look?!
- We loved to talk and talk and talk, sharing everything in our hearts and minds – something we still do to this day.
- I really really hated the brief time I spent as a teacher!
- Our handwriting is still the same even after three decades.
- While my Bear was always a bit of a hottie, I reckon he’s even more handsome today.
- We thought we had something good way back then (and we did) – but that’s nothing compared to now!
And one final thought – how much better on the whole are the photos taken nowadays, than the blurry shots from days gone by?!
Do you have any keepsakes from your early romantic history?
Smiles haven’t changed either lel
Janetti Spaghetti says
LOL I think you might be right there Bananas!