I was dusting the bookshelves on the weekend, when I happened across the scrapbook of all our old love notes.
Only too happy to be distracted from the housework for a while, I sat down to browse through the mementoes from the early days of our relationship more than 30 years ago.
It seems I knew my Bear so well even back then, and that he had a sentimental streak a mile wide! (Example: he has kept the dress I wore on our first date. Yes, really!).
While I presented him the scrapbook as a gift for Valentine’s Day, it was actually the husbear who kept all these treasures, and then stuck them into the pages.
Inside I found:
- note cards from the flowers he sent me;
- a handful of photos;
- old Valentines cards;
- the letter my Bear wrote when he realised that I was indeed ‘the one’, and that he couldn’t live without me;
- a postcard he sent me when he went to north Queensland to visit family;
- the first birthday card he gave me after we were married;
- bus tickets;
- quite a few long and rambling letters that I wrote to him;
- and even a crossword he made just for me, about some of our favourite things.
Yes, there were a couple of those old love notes that almost made me gag, but on the whole I was pleasantly surprised.
Some random thoughts from my little walk down memory lane:
- How young (and skinny!) do we look?!
- We loved to talk and talk and talk, sharing everything in our hearts and minds – something we still do to this day.
- I really really hated the brief time I spent as a teacher!
- Our handwriting is still the same even after three decades.
- While my Bear was always a bit of a hottie, I reckon he’s even more handsome today.
- We thought we had something good way back then (and we did) – but that’s nothing compared to now!
And one final thought – how much better on the whole are the photos taken nowadays, than the blurry shots from days gone by?!
Do you have any keepsakes from your early romantic history?